Chicago loves the St. Patrick’s Day spectacles most especially when the Chicago River goes from murky green (you know what I’m talking about!) to the breathtaking and perfect emerald color identical to the greens in Ireland. Every year, leprechauns (Mike Butler & crew) start the festivities by skillfully mixing a vegetable orange dye that magically transforms the color to the perfect shamrock green. This 40 year old event is not to be missed and so check out some tips and guides below.
- This Saturday March 16th, the greening of the river will begin at 10am. According to the ChicagoPatsParade.com, the event “can be best viewed from the East side of the bridge at Columbus Drive or upper and lower Wacker Drive between Columbus and Lake Shore Drive. This is a new location due to construction taking place this year.”
- The parade starts at 12:00pm on Columbus Drive starting from Balbo and ending at Monroe St.
If you are looking to enjoy the scenes from somewhere more comfortable while enjoying some good Chicago sips and eats, here are Five Places to Watch the Chicago River Green Scene suggested by Empower PR.
- Rivers: Located in the lobby of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Building, Rivers is one of the most talked-about places in the Loop. Try one of their signature seafood dishes, like their Beer Battered Fish & Chips.
- Chicago Cut Steakhouse: Start the morning with a hearty Irish breakfast and a prime view with authentic options to choose from such as Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs or Irish Oatmeal served with brown sugar, nuts and berries.
- Flatwater: Located river-level on Clark Street, Flatwater offers one of the best views of the river turning green in the city. Stop in and take advantage of their extensive brunch menu, which includes Brioche French Toast and Spanish Omelettes.
- Bridge Bar: Located in Fulton’s on the River, Bridge Bar offers the perfect place to stop in and get in the St. Paddy’s day spirit with a libation such as an ice-cold craft beer or traditional Irish whisky.
- Great Street Restaurant: Located within the Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, Great Street is a contemporary restaurant that overlooks the river. Step in for an Irish-focused lunch menu that will include classics such as Chef Joe’s Ultimate Reuben and Lamb Shepherd’s Pie, the perfect entrees to wash down with a hand-crafted Irish Fig Cocktail or a Guinness Cupcake.
Don’t forget to Twitter and Instagram tagging @Chicagonista and #ChicagonistaLIVE and even Vine along the way. We feature #ChiVines weekly here and we want to make sure that we find yours!